Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Jesus, Our Friend

Chuckle: Father: "What did you learn in school today?" Son: "That three and three are seven." Father: "Three and three are six!" Son: "then I guess I didn't learn anything today!"
Quote: "Value a friend who, for you, finds time on his calendar -- but cherish the friend who, for you, does not even consult his calendar."
JESUS, OUR FRIEND
"I command you to love each other in the same way that I love you. And here is how to measure it -- the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends. You are my friends if you obey me. I no longer call you servants because a master doesn't confide in his servants. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me" (John 15:12-15 NLT).
Please take a moment to reflect on the significance of Jesus' words in our passage. How do they make you feel? Jesus Christ is our Lord and Master, and He should call us servants; instead, He calls us friends. These most comforting and reassuring words tell us we Christians have been chosen to be His friends.
Friendship implies the closest and most intimate non-romantic relationship there is between two individuals. As you read our Lord's words, the intimacy of Jesus' relationship with His followers becomes crystal clear -- and totally amazing. The circle of friendship we enjoy through Jesus Christ includes the saved, servants, and friends of Jesus.
Lest we get too carried away with this concept of Jesus being our friend, we must remember that He came as a servant and has called us to be servants. We are called to be servants while enjoying the privileges of friends with our Lord. Here's what Jesus said about Himself as a servant: "For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28 NLT). Here, Jesus was instructing his followers that their importance in His kingdom would be measured by their willingness to be the servants/slaves of others.
Notice the conditions Jesus requires us to meet if we are to be his friends. "You are my friends if you obey me." You see, love for Jesus translates into obedience -- love is also reflected by obedience. Jesus said, "All those who love me will do what I say" (John 14:23 NLT).
Let's not overlook the first command in our passage -- that we love one another in the same way Jesus loves us. This is possible only in the power of the Holy Spirit. In our own strength, we could never love with the love with which Jesus loved. We may not be called upon to die for a friend, but there are other ways to practice sacrificial love; listening, encouraging, helping, giving. Think of someone you know who needs this kind of love today. Give all the love you can, and then give a little more. Our friend, Jesus, did just that.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home