Sunday, September 15, 2019

Hearing God's Voice

Chuckle: "The toughest part of a diet isn't watching what you eat. It's watching what other people eat."
Quote: “I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day.” --F. Frankfort Moore
LISTENING FOR GOD'S VOICE
"When he (shepherd) has brought out all his own (sheep), he goes ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice" (John 10:4 NIV).
Many have a problem with the concept of hearing the voice of God. One can be branded as strange if he claims to have heard God's voice. I heard a pastor present a wonderful message on this subject, and I will share some of his thoughts, as well as my own, to hopefully shed some light on the subject.
First: It is possible to hear God's voice. In our first passage, Jesus uses the analogy of a shepherd and his sheep to make a point about our relationship to Him, the Good Shepherd. His sheep (followers) know Him and they recognize His voice. "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me" (vs. 27). Some lyrics from the old hymn, "In The Garden," come to mind. ". . . and he walks with me and he talks with me, and he tells me I am his own. And the voice I hear falling on my ear none other has ever known." Yes, it is possible to hear God's voice. And we should keep in mind that God speaks to us in various ways: His Word, prayer, life's circumstances, and other people.
Second: It is normal to hear God's voice. In John 15:15 NIV, Jesus refers to His followers as "friends." "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything I have learned from my Father I have made known to you." What is more normal than a conversation with friends and family -- to let them hear your voice? As believers, we are the "children of God" (John 1:12), and "members of God's household" (Ephesians 2:19). The Old Testament is replete with reference to God's people listening for and hearing His voice. It was a perfectly normal part of their relationship with God. This should be true for us today.
Third: It is expected that we hear God's voice. "If only you listen obediently to the voice of the LORD your God, . . ." (Deuteronomy 15:5). "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20 NIV). God wants and expects us to listen intently for His voice; but often we are not listening because our hearts are turned away from Him -- perhaps because we fear He may ask us to do something we don't want to do. Or, He might say something we don't want to hear. Then, God could be screaming at us, but we don't hear. "But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shall be drawn away to worship other gods and serve them . . ." (Deut. 30:17 KJV).
If we want to hear God's voice, we must listen intently. We should always be leaning forward  God in anticipation while "cupping" our spiritual ears, so to speak, for fear that we might miss something God wants to say to us.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home