Thursday, September 5, 2019

When God Seems Far Away

Chuckle: The best kind of church is a Honda church, "All together in one Accord."
Ponder This: "Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones. And when you have finished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake!" --Victor Hugo
GOD, WHERE ARE YOU
"O Lord, why do you stand so far away? Why do you hide when I need you the most?" (Psalm 10:1 NLT).
An amazing truth about Scripture is that Bible characters often express the exact same feelings we experience today. In my life, there have been times when God seemed so far away that I could no longer sense His promised presence and I have asked the same question as the psalmist, David.
Sometimes it seems that God is the furthest away when our troubles are the greatest. When times are the darkest, you may feel that God is intentionally hiding himself from you. Perhaps you or a loved one are battling with a potentially terminal illness. Maybe the love of your life has recently passed away. Maybe a child has broken your heart. Maybe a dear friend has betrayed your trust. At times like these, you must trust God's promises instead of your feelings. Sometimes you may be the one who has drawn away from God which leaves you feeling God has moved away. To restore that feeling of God's nearness, you must move toward him.
I am reminded of the little story about a married couple riding along in their pickup truck. The wife asks, "why is it that we no longer sit close together like we did when we first married?" The husband thought for a moment, then responded, "I haven't moved!" Could it be that over time you have drifted away from the intimate fellowship with your Lord? Listen to the psalmist's later expression of God's nearness. "You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my every thought. . . . I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence" (Psalm 139:2, 7 NLT). This affirms the truth that God is always near even though you may feel otherwise.
When you became a Christian, God never promised you a life without troubles; but just the opposite. Jesus said to His followers, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart!I have overcome the world" (John 16:33 NIV). God promise to be with you even in your darkest hours. Again, the psalmist expresses this truth in Psalm 23:4 NLT: "Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me."
When you find yourself experiencing the dark times of trouble, pain, sorrow, or loneliness, please remember that God is close beside you. Jesus said, "Be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20 NLT).
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home