Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Affection of the Strongest Kind

Chuckle: "Marriage is an institution. Marriage is love. Love is blind. Therefore, marriage is an institution for the blind!"
Good Quote: "A bell is not a bell until you ring it; A song is not a song until you sing it. Love in your heart is not put there to stay; Love is not love until you give it away." --Oscar Hammerstein II

"It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:7-8):
Isn't this the most touching expression of love and devotion you've ever read? Here Paul turned from his high expectations for the future to his tender and compassionate love for the Philippian Christians. God's grace had given them a special place in his heart. In my years as pastor, God brought across my path some of the most precious people in the world. Bonds of love and friendship were developed and continue to this day. I can appreciation the heart of Paul and his love for the Christians in Philippi.
Partakers (sharers) of God's Grace: "It is right for me to feel this way about you, since I have you in my heart . . . all of you share in God's grace with me." It was unthinkable to Paul that he would fail to express his love and desire to be with the Philippian Christians or to pray for them. As fellow recipients of God's grace, they shared a bond like no other. The Philippians were not shamed by Paul's imprisonment. Rather, they identified with his cause and, in many ways, participated with him.
The affection of Christ Jesus. In verse 8, Paul expresses his deep yearning to be with them once again. "I long for all of you." He compares his love for them to that of Jesus. This deep yearning of Paul to be with his Christian friends serves as an example to all of us. If we say we love one another, why do so many Christians have little or no desire to be together with brothers and sisters in Christ? Some of our greatest joys and blessings should come from spending time together in fellowship and worship. Which of these definitions describes your love for others?
"Infantile love follows the principle: 'I love you because I am loved.' Mature love follows the principle: 'I am loved because I love you.' Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says: 'I need you because I love you.'" --Erich Promm
Paul definitely displayed mature love by first telling the Philippians of his deep love for them which then led to his telling them how he yearned to be with them. What a beautiful picture of the way we should love, need, and enjoy one another.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home