Sunday, October 27, 2019

Presence (2), God's Guiding

Chuckle: I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, government, healthcare, real estate prices, the stock market, the federal deficit, Iraq, Afghanistan, global warming, my savings, Social Security, credit card debt, I called the Suicide Hotline. I got a call center in Pakistan... told them I was suicidal. They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck. . . .!!
Great Quote: "I have so much to do that I must spend the first three hours of each day in prayer." --Martin Luther
GOD'S GUIDING PRESENCE
"If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me" (Psalm 139:9-10 NLT).
In our last lesson, we considered God's omnipresence -- universal presence. God's Spirit is everywhere in His creation all the time. Once we accept this amazing attribute of Almighty God, it stands to reason that His ever-present Spirit is capable of guiding us and showing us His way through the troubles and difficulties of our daily lives.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend upon your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths. Don't be impressed with your own wisdom" (Proverbs 3:5-7 NLT).
Many of us Christians try to work through the challenges that beset us by relying upon our own strength and reasoning. Then when we fail miserably in solving the problem or in making the right decision, in desperation, we turn to God for His instruction and guidance. I must admit to having this problem from time to time. The first question many of us ask when facing difficult decisions is, "how am "I" going to get out of this mess?" But the first question we ask should be directed to God: "Lord, I don't know how to handle this; will you please give me your wisdom and guidance to help me deal with this situation?"
Jesus said, "But when he, the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth" (John 16:13 NIV). Here, Jesus is saying the Holy Spirit will guide us into the truth about Himself. However, the Spirit also helps us to discern right from wrong -- if we practice patient persistence in seeking His guidance. To reap the benefits of God's guiding presence, we must seek God's will in everything we do.
An aircraft pilot was following a major highway and observing the traffic below. He saw one driver attempting to pass a large truck, but because of oncoming traffic, over and over again, he was forced to retreat. The pilot, being able to see several miles down the highway, thought to himself, "If I could only talk to the driver, I could tell him when and where to pass."
God, of course, is the ultimate Pilot and his perfect knowledge is exactly what we need to guide our lives. Prayer is how we talk to God, and when we learn to listen to his responses, we will find the guidance we seek. --Illustrations for Biblical Preaching, Edited by Michael P. Green
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home