Sunday, December 2, 2018

The Darkness of Depression

Chuckle: "If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments!!"
Beautiful Prayer: "I believe in Your everlasting love, dear Father, and I accept it. I trust in Your sovereign control over the circumstances of my life, and I will rest in the knowledge that Your character is trustworthy and unchanging. Amen." --Kay Arthur.
 "Come quickly, Lord, and answer me, for my depression deepens. Don't turn away from me, or I will die" (Psalm 143:7 NLT). "Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again. . ." (Psalm 5:5 NLT).
Are you suffering from depression, or do you know someone who is? If so, you realize full well the sense of worthlessness, helplessness, and hopelessness depression can bring. If you watch television, you are aware of the many commercials advertising drugs to help people overcome the devastating effects of depression. Depression seems to be an epidemic in our society and there are many approaches to treating this disorder.
I recognize that some suffer depression brought on by physical problems -- chemical imbalances, etc. Those may require professional help. Obviously, I can't offer you help in this area, except to encourage you to seek the help you need. However, I am convinced that many suffer feelings of depression brought on by a spiritual vacuum in their lives. Claiming to be a Christian will not necessarily fill that vacuum. Often we see depressed Christians. Why?
A while back, I read a short sermon in the Religion section of our local newspaper. It was entitled, "When Your Roots Don't Hit the Water." The message dealt with depression and the title was derived from John 7:38 NLT: "If you are thirsty, come to me! If you believe in me, come and drink! For the Scriptures declare that rivers of living water will flow out from within." Here, Jesus uses the term "living water" to refer to the Holy Spirit who is always available to believers because he lives within us. It is the Holy Spirit who stands ready to fill every spiritual need we have if we are willing for Him to do so -- not trying to solve our problems on our own.
We can become discouraged, depressed, and worried about what the future may hold. Maybe you are not well and are fearful that death may not be far away. Maybe you are feeling guilty because you are not living the way you know God would desire. Maybe you are feeling deep disappointment and hurt because of a rebellious child or a wayward spouse. Maybe one of your children is suffering from a physical or mental disorder and you feel helpless to change the situation. Maybe you have recently lost a loved one. Any of these circumstances can bring on feelings of depression and despair. But your Heavenly Father is faithful and will sustain you. All too often we find ourselves doubting that God is really in control in our lives and are reluctant to trust him completely to take care of us.
When God is given first place at the center-court of your life, you can be content and sleep in peace. This is because the roots of your being are being nourished in the never-ending living water of life -- the Holy Spirit. Sometimes, when we realize that not every situation will turn out the way we wish, the best we can hope for is a sense of God's peace. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:5-7 NIV). When you feel depressed, read the Bible's accounts of God's goodness, and meditate on them.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home