Friday, November 30, 2018

Family Fortune

Chuckle: "Smartness runs in my family. When I went to school I was so smart my teacher was in my class for five years.” --George Burns
Quote: “A house without a roof would scarcely be a more different home, than a family unsheltered by God’s friendship, and the sense of being always rested in His providential care and guidance.” --Horace Bushnell
FAMILY FORTUNE
"Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. But if a widow has children and grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God" (1 Timothy 5:3-4 NIV).
When you first saw the title of this lesson, what came to your mind? Was it the amount of money or possessions a family has accumulated? If so, I can understand your mind going in that direction. But let's give it a new meaning -- like, "my family is my fortune," or "how fortunate I am to have my family."
As I grow older and come face to face with the reality that life is fragile and oh so brief, the fleeting time I have to spend with family becomes even more precious. Family members are my greatest fortune.
I'm reminded of a reunion in Casper, Wyoming a few years ago. Gathered there were relatives from my grandmother's side of my family. As we laughed together, played together, shared memories together, and remembered those who are no longer with us, the preciousness of family was reinforced in many ways. As I looked into the faces of relatives whose lives are inextricably linked to mine, and whose lives have richly blessed my life, the beauty and value of family took on a fresh new meaning.
As I thought about our love for each other, I was reminded of God's amazing grace and love for each of us. He loves every member of my family, and yours, so much that He sacrificed His one and only Son to make it possible for our earthly families to experience the greatest reunion of all in heaven that will last for all eternity. "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8 NIV).
Family is obviously the result of God's plan for human reproduction, but beyond that it fulfills the human desire for love and companionship. Family is also the setting within which our religious faith is nurtured through parental examples and teachings. Family is also a symbol of God's relationship to His children as Father as well as a symbol of the church in its relationship to Jesus Christ.
Family relationships do not remain strong automatically. They must be nurtured through love, Bible study, family worship, communication, conflict resolution, and friendships outside the family. I hope you see your family members as your greatest fortune, and I hope you never pass up an opportunity to let each one of them know how much you love and appreciate them. We never know when we will do so for the very last time in this life.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home