Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Finishing the Race

Chuckle: "Never test the depth of the water with both feet."
Ponder This: "Anybody can do their best, but we are helped by the Spirit of God to do better than our best." --Catherine Bramwell-Booth

The apostle Paul said of his life, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful" (2 Timothy 4:7 NLT).
Have you experienced frustration and disappointment from starting a project and not finishing it? I have. There is a pleasant sense of peace and satisfaction when we complete a task, a journey, or an assignment, especially when we know we have given it our best effort. I have often asked myself this question: "When I come to the end of my life, will I be able to say with the apostle Paul that I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful to my Lord?"
Paul often used athletic metaphors in describing the Christian life. He pictured Christians competing, not against one another, but for the prize from God awaiting those who faithfully run the race. Paul knew he would be rewarded not by applause of men, but by Christ whom he loved and served. To win a race, an athlete must begin strong, remain strong, and finish strong if he is to be a winner. Some jump out to a quick lead, but begin to fade as they grow fatigued and do not have the reserve strength to finish strong.
Living the Christian life is hard work -- it requires continued effort and commitment, not unlike running a race. You may think that once you receive Jesus Christ as Savior your struggles have ended, but this is not the way Christ works in us. The term "babes in Christ" is used in Scripture to describe new and immature Christians. When we are born again, we are weak baby Christians in the same way a newborn baby is weak and requires a lot of nourishment, exercise, and parental care.
It is God's plan that we grow in strength and knowledge of him and that we become increasingly more productive for his kingdom. He wants you to grow in your faith and your understanding of his nature and plan for your life. Making a public commitment to Christ is a first step in running the race, but It is only the beginning of a life-long journey of devotion to the cause of Christ.
In ancient Roman athletic games, a laurel wreath was awarded to the winners. As a symbol of triumph and honor, it was the most coveted prize. This is likely what Paul was referring to when he goes on to say, "And now the prize awaits me -- the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return" (2 Timothy 4:8 NLT).
Although Paul would not receive an earthly reward, he would be rewarded in heaven. Whatever you may face -- discouragement, hardships, persecution -- you can be assured of your reward Christ will give you in eternity. Our faithfulness is proven each day by our faithful endurance in the race of life.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home