Monday, September 25, 2017

Why Attend Church?

Chuckle: "It is bad to suppress laughter; it goes back down and spreads to your hips."
Good Quote: "A Christian who says he worships God every Sunday morning on the golf course is really worshiping golf on God's course."

    "Think of ways to encourage one another by outbursts of love and good deeds. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near" (Hebrews 10:24-25 NLT).
I've often heard someone say, "I'm a Christian and have a close relationship with the Lord but I can worship him without attending church." Of course we can worship God any time, but it is God's plan that we should assemble ourselves regularly for corporate worship and fellowship. As Christians, we have many precious privileges that come with our new life in Christ, and one of these is worshiping together. No doubt our primary reason for assembling in God's house is to meet Him, as a body of believers, and worship Him through confession, repentance, praise, prayer, and thanksgiving. However, there are other benefits from worshiping together. Relationships are strengthened, fellowship becomes warmer, and mutual encouragement becomes a powerful force in our lives.
As the day when Christ will return draws closer, we see opposition to Christianity growing, even in our own country. Persecution of Christians is on the rise around the world. It seems anti-Christian forces are becoming stronger each day. In these troubled times, the need for Christians to unite in brotherly love and mutual understanding and support has never been greater. I received this from a friend. Perhaps there's something in it that will encourage you.
          Why Go To Church? A Church attender wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now,"he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving us sermons at all." This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:
          "I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals But I do know this. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!

There are many blessings and great spiritual nourishment awaiting you in your local church. If you are currently active in your church, you don't need me to remind you of this truth; however, if you are not in the habit of attending Bible study and worship, I encourage you to get involved. God will be pleased and you will definitely be strengthened and encouraged -- and God will give you opportunity to encourage others.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home