Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Remembrance of You

Chuckle:  Some people are kind, polite, and sweet-spirited - until you try to sit in their pews!
 
Quote:  “Memory builds a pathway that goes winding through the heart and keeps friends close together even though they are far apart.  --Unknown
 
REMEMBRANCE OF YOU
 
    "I thank God upon every remembrance of you(Philippians 1:3 KJV). 
 
Among the many beautiful and thoughtful cards I received following my major surgery was one from a member of a church where I once served as pastor.   In the card, the well-wisher quoted our verse to me.  It touched my heart very deeply.  These words are from a strong note of thanksgiving and prayer by the apostle Paul for the Christians at Philippi, and I'm sure his words had a tremendous impact on those believers as well.  They reminded me that I should be faithful in telling the precious people who have touched my life over the years how important they are to me.
 
Each of us is the product of influences by the people who have interacted with us over our lifetimes.  We have been molded into the people we are by those God has placed in our paths.  They may have been parents, pastors, teachers, neighbors, co-workers, classmates, or just special friends.  This morning, let's think together about the implications of this verse of Scripture when it is directed at those we remember with love and thankfulness.
 
First, it tells them they are being remembered -- they are in our thoughts.  There's just something extra special that happens in our hearts when we know we are remembered with fondness and appreciation.  No doubt they are comforted and encouraged from knowing they are important to us, are loved, and are in our thoughts. 
 
Second, it tells them they are not only remembered but that we are praying for them.  I know I'm encouraged every time I'm reminded that someone is praying for me, my ministry, or my health.  When you tell people you remember them, think of them, and pray for them, you may provide the uplifting words they desperately need to hear.
 
Third, it tells them how thankful we are for them and the impact they have had on your lives.  When you say to someone, "I thank God for you," you may never know this side of heaven how you have touched that persons heart and life -- how you have made them feel.  Every person needs to know they are important and are making a difference in someone's life.
 
Please think about the people who are, or have been, special to you and have been a positive influence in your life.  Now consider letting them know with a card, phone call, e-mail, or a personal contact how much they mean to you, and how they have enriched your life.
 

Love, Jerry & Dotse

1 Comments:

At October 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jerry & Dotse, for your timely and thoughtful messages. God Bless you both!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home