Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I'm Not Ashamed

Chuckle:  "My teenage daughter thinks I'm too nosy.  At least that's what she keeps writing in her diary."
 
Good Quote:  “Of all the errors one could make, God's gospel plan is the wrong thing to be wrong about.  --Neal A. Maxwell 
 
I'M NOT ASHAMED
 
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes . ." (Romans 1:16 NIV).  Jesus said, "If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, I, the Son of Man, will be ashamed of that person when I return to my glory and the glory of the Father and  the holy angels" (Luke 9:26 NLT). 
 
Some time back I was pleasantly surprised to see ads running on television that showed several people of differing ages and ethnicities joyfully expressing their faith in Jesus Christ.  The ad went something like this: "I'm not ashamed, I'm not ashamed, I'm not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ."  How refreshing it was to see such bold expressions of Christian faith by a group of ordinary people on national television.  The ads I saw were aired on the FOX News Channel, but I have not seen them lately. . .
 
None of us should be ashamed of our faith because our message is the "good news" about Jesus Christ -- a message of life-changing power and eternal salvation for everyone who believes.  It is a matter of spiritual life or death.  Sadly, however, too many of us do not express our faith boldly.  Is this because we are ashamed of our Lord or is it because we tend to focus on our personal weaknesses and inadequacies rather than the power of God's Spirit who will give us strength and embolden us?  Many of us are like an Arctic River -- frozen over at the mouth!   
 
Boldly and lovingly expressing our faith is Jesus' plan for those who know Him as Savior and Lord.  "If anyone acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will openly acknowledge that person before my Father in heaven. But if anyone denies me here on earth, I will deny that person before my Father in heaven"  (Matthew 10:32 NLT).
 
There's no way we can be faithful to carry out Christ's Great Commission unless we tell others about Jesus.  Jesus said we are to "go and make disciples of all nations (people), baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Teach the new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:19-20 NLT).
 
Once, when walking down a Chicago street, D. L. Moody stepped up to a man, a stranger to him, and asked, "Sir, are you a Christian?"  "Mind your own business" was the reply.  Moody replied, "Sir, this is my business."
 

Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home