Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Coping With Overwhelming Situations

Chuckle: "If I wanted to go crazy, I would do it in Washington because it would not be noticed." --Irwin S. Cobb
Quote: "Man is not at peace with his fellow man because he is not at peace with himself; he is not at peace with himself, because he is not at peace with God." --Thomas Merton

"Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall" (Psalm 55:22 NLT). "Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens" (Psalm 68:19 NIV).
For the Christian, it's not how difficult life becomes, but how one handles and copes with those difficulties that makes the difference. One of the saddest experiences in my ministry is to see a "Christian" totally defeated and with no clue as to how to turn that defeat into victory. It seems that seeking God in times of adversity is an alien concept to some.
Many try to figure things out and solve their problems in their own strength instead of turning to the true source of strength and wisdom. They will try every possible solution, from the world's point of view, except drawing near to their God who specializes in overcoming impossible situations. The solution is to place complete trust and confidence in God at all times, but, especially, when you have reached the bottom of life's pits. "I am overwhelmed, and you alone know the way I should turn" (Psalm 142:3 NLT).
When you feel overwhelmed, remember to accept God's love, comfort, and mercy. His arms are long enough to reach even the most depressed and downtrodden. "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand" (Isaiah 41:10 NLT).
This is a solemn promise that God has made to his people -- and that includes you and me. You need not fear because (1) God is with you, (2) God has established a relationship with you through Jesus Christ, and (3) God gives you assurance of his strength, help, and victory over sin and death. Are you aware of all the ways God has helped you?
"Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again -- my Savior and my God" (Psalm 42:5-6 NLT). There should never be hopelessness in the life of a Christian -- there is no such word in God's vocabulary. If you are shedding tears of loneliness, depression, or hopelessness, there is a solution. God is so good and he wants to restore the joy of your salvation and give you a life of peace and happiness. But you must turn to him in every situation and allow him to have his way in your life.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home