Monday, July 10, 2017

Solution For An Untamed Tongue

Chuckle: TEACHER: "Millie, give me a sentence starting with 'I'." MILLIE: "I is. . ." TEACHER: "No, Millie .  . Always say 'I am'." MILLIE: "All right . . ., I am the ninth letter of the alphabet."
Quote: "A word is dead when it is said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day." -- Emily Dickinson

"Create in me a clean heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit within me" (Psalm 51:10 NLT).
At one time or another we all have been guilty of saying unkind and hurtful things when angry, bitter, or frustrated. But we must understand that the heart of the problem is a problem of the heart. In the James passages, we see the power of the tongue used for both good and evil. In other passages, we are told how to get control over our tongues. "Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed and get a new heart and a new spirit" (Ezekiel 18:31 NLT). We can paint the well-house but it will not make the water taste better. We can make new years resolutions and promise to do better, but unless our hearts are changed, we'll continue as same person making the same mistakes.
We need a clean heart. Unless you have been born again through faith in Jesus Christ and are allowing the Holy Spirit to control your life, you can't change your heart nor the way you speak. But, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse (purify) us from all unrighteousness" (I John 1:9 KJV). Thus a clean heart.
We need God's power daily. David says: "Set a guard over my mouth, oh Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips" (Psalm 141:3 NIV). If you want victory over your tongue, pray every day that God will give you kind and encouraging words for your marriage partner, your children, and your workmates, etc. "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord my rock (strength) and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14 NIV). We must want our speech to emanate from a pure heart. At the end of each day confess to God unkind, harsh, and critical words you have used that day and ask His forgiveness and cleansing.
We need to think before we speak. When I was a child, I was told to count to ten, when I was angry, before I said anything. This is good advice, because so much of what we say would not be said if we had taken the time to "cool down" before speaking. Also, we need to learn to think as Jesus thinks. "let this mind (attitude) be in you which is also in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5 KJV). Jesus always knew what, how, when, and to whom to speak the truth with kindness and compassion. Proverbs 12:18 says: "the tongue of the wise brings healing," rather than hurt.
The six most important words: "I admit I made a mistake." The five most important words: "You did a good job." The four most important words: "What is your opinion." The three most important words: "If you please." The two most important words: "Thank you." The least important word: "I."
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home