Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Coping with Troubles

Chuckle: "We always admire the intelligence of those who ask us for advice."
Quote: "Adversity has ever been considered the state in which a man most easily becomes acquainted with himself." --Samuel Johnson

"But when I am afraid, I put my trust in you. O God, I praise your word. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?" (Psalm 56:3-4 NLT).
Jesus said, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33 NIV).
Learning to cope with the troubles of life is one of the great secrets for happiness and contentment. If we don't learn God's way for coping, we are assured great stress, anxiety, and misery. Many problems we face are just too big for us to handle alone. Therefore, a wise Christian makes God the primary point of counsel, confidence, and courage when problems arise.
When we are facing problems created by others, we can say with the psalmist, David: "What can mere mortals do to me?" How much harm can other people do to us? They can inflict pain, suffering, and death. But no person can rob us of our souls or our future beyond this life, and no person can rob us of the joy that comes from our relationship and fellowship with our Lord.
When we face problems created by our own doing, the only answer is to seek God's forgiveness, cleansing, and the wise counsel of his Word. "Your decrees please me; they give me wise advice" (Psalm 119:24 NLT). God does not create immunity from troubles for his followers; however he does say he will be with us in our troubles.
"In time of trouble, say, 'First, he brought me here. It is by his will I am in this strait place; in that I will rest.' Next, 'He will keep me here in his love, and give me grace in this trial to behave as his child.' Then say, 'He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me lessons he intends me to learn, and working in me the grace he means to bestow.' And last, say, 'In his good time he can bring me out again. How and when, he knows.' Therefore, say, 'I am here (1) by God's appointment, (2) in his keeping, (3) under his training, (4) for his time.'" --Illustrations for Biblical Preaching; Edited by Michael P. Green
Going to God and trusting him for solutions to your problems will result in greater faith, more praise, and increased joy. . . .!! "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God" (Philippians 4:6 NIV).
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home