Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Consideration for Others

Chuckle: The sign on a church nursery door read: "We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed." (See 1 Corinthians 15:51)
Quote: "Blessed are they who have nothing to say and who cannot be persuaded to say it." --James Russell Lowell
CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS
You say, "I am allowed to do anything" -- but not everything is helpful. You say, "I am allowed to do anything" -- but not everything is beneficial. Don't think only of your own good. Think of other Christians and what is best for them" (I Corinthians 10:23-24 NLT).
A great and underlying principle that runs throughout the entire Bible is that of loving and doing good for one's neighbors (other people). Along with this principle comes the realization that when we focus on bringing good to others, we are bringing good to ourselves.
Within this passage is one of the most difficult lessons we need to learn as believers. And how well we learn it depends upon our own level of spiritual maturity. As we mature, the Holy Spirit will teach us that a word or an action that isn't necessarily wrong (a sin) can still cause a weaker believer to become confused, disillusioned, and hurt. For example; telling a truth about someone in an inconsiderate and unkind way can do terrible damage to the spiritual and emotional well-being of that person.
Here, Paul gives us a simple rule of thumb to help us make decisions about our actions. We should always be sensitive and gracious to others. While we have great freedom in Christ, as opposed to the Old Testament law, we should never use that freedom if doing so harms a Christian brother or sister. The welfare of others should be more important to us than our own.
We live in a "what's in it for me" society where the focus is selfishly placed on me, myself, and I. Society encourages people to seek everything for their own benefit, and when they do, they are praised and admired for it. Obviously, this lesson does not mean we should not look out for our own best interests, but it is teaching us to place priority of our actions on bringing good to others. Paul tells us in I Corinthians 8:13 NLT, that he would never do anything that would cause another weaker Christian to stumble.
When I was a child growing up in a small rural community, I loved to go to the movies on Saturday afternoons. But in the community, some Christians viewed the movie theater as a "den of iniquity." One Saturday, I asked my pastor father to go with me to see a movie. I think it was "Black Beauty," or something like that. I'll never forget my father's answer. He said, "son, it would not be wrong for me to go and I would like to go. But if I did, it would offend those who believe otherwise. It would diminish my influence and reputation as a pastor in their eyes and perhaps cause them to stumble in their faith. Therefore, I cannot go." His sensitivity to the feelings of others dictated his actions, not what he could do or wanted to do.
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home