Monday, October 12, 2015

Praying For Our Loved Ones

Chuckle: "I haven't spoken to my wife in 18 months. I don't like to interrupt her." --Red Skelton
Quote: "Prayer moves the hand which moves the world." --John Aikman Wallace
PRAYING FOR OUR LOVED ONES
"It (this letter) is written to Timothy, my true child in the faith. May God our Father and Christ Jesus our Lord give you grace, mercy, and peace" (I Timothy 1:2 NLT).
My wife, children, and grandchildren are so very precious to me that praying for them is as natural as breathing. Such prayers emanate from a heart filled with gratitude to God for sharing them with me and allowing me to enjoy the blessings they bring to my life. I'm thankful for the privilege of approaching Almighty God, in the name of Jesus, on behalf of those I love. We can look to Scripture to learn how to pray for those closest to us. Notice the three specific gifts that Paul requested for his beloved son in the faith, Timothy.
First, he prayed that grace would be extended to Timothy. God's grace is his unmerited favor and the gifts He grants us reflect His abundant love and compassion for His own. In other words, grace is receiving what we do not deserve. It is through grace that God relates to us and allows us to experience His presence. God's grace brings us daily blessings even during difficult times. Most important, It is by God's grace through faith that we are saved. (Ephesians 2:8). But after we are saved, his grace blessings just keep on coming. "The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus" (I Timothy 1:14 NIV).
Second, he prayed that Timothy would be granted mercy. Mercy is not receiving what we deserve. Each of us deserves punishment for our sins, but our merciful God, who wants everyone to be saved, provided his own Son to receive our punishment. "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9 NIV). God, in his merciful patience, delays our punishment until we have had a chance to accept His gift of salvation. Nothing is more important than our praying that our loved ones will come to know Christ as Savior and Lord.
Third, he prayed that Timothy would be granted peace. Peace comes to us when we become confident that God's grace and mercy has been granted to us. Genuine peace will come when we claim the promise that his grace and mercy will give us sustenance even in the most troubling of times. "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7 NIV). The knowledge that God forgives us, even when we fail him, brings us indescribable peace.
Jesus' own words help us to understand the difference in His peace and the peace that comes from the world. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27 NIV). Henry Blackaby says, "The world seeks to sedate us from the problems we face through counseling or drugs or temporary pleasures. The peace that God gives goes right to the soul, relieving the heart and mind."
From Paul’s prayer, we can all learn how to pray for our loved ones. What more important things could we ask God to do for them than to grant them his abundant grace, mercy, and peace?
Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home