Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Example to Others


Chuckle"My guardian angel helps me with math, but he's not much good for science." --Henry, age 8
 
Ponder This:   "Wisdom is knowing what to do; skill is knowing how to do it; and virtue is doing it."   -- David Starr Jordan  
 
AN EXAMPLE TO OTHERS
 
    "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God -- even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ" (I Corinthians 10:31-11:1 NIV).
 
As disciples of Christ, we teach by example, whether we intend to or not.  I don't know about you, but I become uncomfortable when thinking of suggesting to someone that they follow my example in living as a follower of Christ.  Since I know my own heart and realize how far I have to go to be what Christ desires me to be, I would feel hypocritical if I made such a suggestion.  What do you think about the apostle Paul as he tells the Christians at Corinth to follow his example?  Do you think he was being self-righteous and arrogant?  Do you think he was justified in making such a suggestion?
 
Paul knew he was not perfect and had not achieved all Christ had in store for his life.  He did not think of himself as sinless or mature.  At this time, however, the Corinthian believers were relatively ignorant about the life and ministry of Christ.  The best way to point these new Christians to Christ was to show them the life of a Christian whom they trusted.  Paul had been in Corinth the better part of two years and had built a relationship of trust with many of the new believers.  Therefore, he pointed to himself as a model for them to imitate.  But notice, Paul did not take the credit for his being a good example, but pointed to Christ as the example he followed in his own life.
 
Paul was actually humbling himself before his Lord, and in essence he was saying to the people: "Anything you see in my life that merits favorable consideration is not from my superior understanding and conduct, but it is from Christ and given to me by His grace."  His goal was to avoid causing  new believers to stumble because of his own weaknesses or misconduct.  And he admonished all believers to be cautious lest we cause a weaker Christian to become disenchanted and stumble in his or her walk with Christ.
 
As a Christian, you can be certain that unbelievers are watching your life, and your life may be the only Bible that they will ever read.  The importance of each of us being an example of Godly living cannot be over emphasized.  Do people around you see things in your life that identify you as a faithful follower of Christ?  If they do, God will use you to draw them to himself.
 
Love, Jerry & Dotse 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home