Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gift of Life

Chuckle: A preacher related how he asked a group of high school students to write down their favorite hymn. One girl wrote, "Willie Smith."

Good Quote: "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12 NIV).

GIFT OF LIFE

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23 NLT). At Christmas, gifts are on our minds. Let's do a brief word study from this passage which describes the greatest gift of all.

Wages are something a person earns and deserves for what he or she has done. The Greek word for "wages" is a word describing the pay of a soldier in the Roman army.

Sin is rebellion against God -- the condition of rejecting God's authority over your life. It's like a rebellious teenager who turns his back on his loving parents and disobeys them. By rejecting God's authority, we have enlisted in sin's army and we receive wages for our service.

Death is the wages for sin -- eternal separation from God's presence in a place the Bible calls hell. In the same way a bloom dies when cut off from it's source of life, those who reject Jesus Christ have earned being cut off from eternal life in Christ.

But is a word of contrast. It compares what could have been with what can be if the good news of the gospel of Christ is accepted.

Gift, by its very definition, means something totally free for the taking -- the gift of salvation and eternal life in God's presence. This precious gift cannot be earned or deserved by being "good," but can be received only by faith in Jesus Christ through God's amazing grace.

Of God tells us he is holy and cannot accept sin in his presence. Because he loves us, he wants to make us acceptable through the gift of his Son as an atoning blood sacrifice for our sin.

Eternal life is God's gift and is the opposite of eternal death. This eternal life begins not when we get to heaven, but the instant we accept Christ as Savior and Lord.

Through Christ Jesus means that he, and only he, can give us this priceless gift, because he is the one who paid for that gift. He died a cruel and heinous death on Calvary's cross to pay the penalty for our sins, and rose again victorious over sin and death.

The cross is the bridge from death to life. However, we must take certain actions to cross this bridge. Trusting Christ as Savior and Lord is as simple as ABC. I must:

Admit that I'm a hopeless sinner and deserve eternal death. Agree with God that there's nothing I can do to save myself. I must recognize my desperate need for a Savior. I must see myself as spiritually destitute without Christ.

Believe that God's Son died and rose again -- just for me. The word "believe" means more than merely accepting as truth the fact that Jesus died and paid the price for my sins. It means to trust my life completely to him and have faith in him as my Savior.

Commit my life, personally, to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. In repentance, I must trust my life into his hands and allow him to take charge of my life. I must decide to accept God's gift of eternal life and make a commitment to follow him and obey his Word.

Love, Jerry & Dotse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home